SMS Help line to Address Violence Against Dalits and Adivasis in India
Type ATM < your message > Send to 9773904050
|Case posted by||Social Awareness Society for Youths-SASY|
|Type of atrocity||Murder|
|Whether the case is being followed in the court or not?||Yes|
|Fact finding date||Not recorded|
|Case incident date||17-Jun-2014|
|Place||Village: Not recorded
State: Tamil Nadu
P. Seetha (28) D/o Panchanathan, resident of Aathaivarahanatham Village, Cuddalore District, belongs to Dalit community and Saravanan (29), resident of Chellapillaiyar Kovil street of keerapalayam, Cuddalore District, belongs to Caste Hindu Aasari (Vishwakarma) Community, were in love for the last one year.
Saravanan promised to marry her and developed sexual relationship with Sheetha. The bride later denied to marry her since his family opposed their marriage proposal as she belongs to untouchable community. Inspite of family opposition they registered their marriage on 05.05.2014 at Cuddalore Sub Register Office due to persistent compulsion from Sheetha. Later Sheetha complained about the physical abuse by Saravanan and his family members. In the midst Sheetha went missing since 03.06.2014. When Sheetha\'s parents enquired the where abouts of Sheetha, the boy\'s family have not responded positively. Hence on 08.07.2014, Sheetha\'s father lodged a complaint at Bhuvanagiri police station. Following the police complaint, on 15.07.2014, Saravanan appeared before the Panrutti Judicial Magistrate. After due investigation, he confessed that on 17.05.2014 he along with his mother Selvi, Sister and her husband Vengatesan, brutally assaulted her, set ablaze her and buried her at Kadavacherri are of Cuddalore District.
1. We demand the District Suprintendent of Police to immediately arrest all the accused who have been involved in this brutal honour killing of Dalit woman and register the case under section 3(2)(V) of SC/ST POA Amendment Ordinance,2014, 302, 376 of IPC.
2. We demand comprehensive autopsy should conducted by expert doctor\'s team, in which two of such members should belongs to Dalit community. The Autopsy should be video graphed and well documented.
3. We demand the Magistrate of Cuddalore district to pay compensation and other monetary relief to the family members of deceased and provide government job to the family member of the deceased under the provision of the SC/ST PoA Amendment Ordinance, 2014.
4. We strongly condemn the brutal incident of honour killing of Dalit woman by the caste Hindus regarding inter-caste marriage.
5. We strongly condemn the increasing atrocities against DAlit women in Punjab, Hariyana, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
6. We request Tamil Nadu government to introduce a policy to ensure protection and prevention of atrocities against Dalit community who engage in Inter-caste marriages.