SMS Help line to Address Violence Against Dalits and Adivasis in India
Type ATM < your message > Send to 9773904050
|Case posted by||Social Awareness Society for Youths-SASY|
|Type of atrocity||SC/ST (POA) Act|
|Whether the case is being followed in the court or not?||No|
|Fact finding date||Not recorded|
|Case incident date||14-May-2021|
|Place||Village: Not recorded
State: Tamil Nadu
1. There are more than 60 Scheduled Caste Paraiyarcommunity living in Ottanandal village, Thiruvennallur circle, Villupuram district. More than 250 Scheduled Castes are inhabited by non-Vanni community.
2. It has been the custom of the Dalit people to hold the Mariamman Temple Festival in the month of May every year. Similarly, the festival has been organized in May this year and has been held for three consecutive days from 09th to 11th. On the 12th, sports competitions were held for the youth and boys in the Dalit area and a prize giving ceremony was held. At around 08.30 pm that night, the police arrived from the Thiruvennallur police station and confiscated the mic set, the loudspeaker and the vehicle and took them to the police station.
3. The next day at around 11.00 am on 13.05.2021 the village leaders in the colony were Santhanam (70) S/oKannan, Thirumal (60) S/oManikkam, Arumugam (65) S/oKoothan, Murugan (38) S/oVenkatesh, Thiruvenkadam (55); S/oPitchai, Kumaran (28) S/oRamasamy went to the Thirunavur police station with about 10 persons in his presence and confiscated the mic set, amplifier and all the vehicles. Police Inspector Pandian told them that it was wrong to hold the festival without permission. On his way back home at around 08.00 pm to get a reply from Ramesh (28), (Vanniyar Caste), S/oRamalingam, the branch secretary of the BJP, intended the persons in stopping the festival.
4. The next day on 14.05.2021 at about 09.00 am the village leaders in the colony were Santhanam (70) S/oKannan, Thirumal (60) S/oManikkam, Arumugam (65) S/oKoothan, Murugan (38) S/oVenkatesh, Thiruvenkadam (55); In the presence of S/oPitchai, about 10 people have appealed to the village leaders of the Vanniyar community, Balakrishnan, Ramalingam, Purushottamman, Gokulraj and Ramasundaram about the incident that took place the day before. Santhanam, an elder in the colony, said that this would not happen again, and that it was not possible to apologize to them. The village leaders in the colony apologized to all the youths and youths in the Vanniyar community saying that they should apologize for any problem. Suresh (20) S/oGovindaraj, a youth from the Vanniyar community then slapped Murugan (38) S/oVenkatesh.
5. After that the members of the Vanniyar community complained to the members of the colony. Later, Kumaran (28) S/oRamasamy from the colony lodged a complaint against members of the Vanniyar community.